Sunday 13 April 2014

Life Goes On But with Changes!

It has now been an eternity since I have written anything in this blog, a lot has happened since last I did. To begin with, my favourite horse died of unknown causes, I  required further eye surgery, this time for glaucoma and I had a house fire, in which my cat, of 19 years, was killed. Add to this a just plain dismal year,a cancer scare and a totally horrendous winter and I think you have the makings of a tragic film script, with Oscar possibilities for best screen adaptation and best director. The latter because only a cinematic master could actually bring this thing to the screen. Despite all that, there has been some definite pluses to my life and mind set.

There is some old saw, about adversity and being the stronger for it, etc,etc, but in my case it has some validity. Now that I know my eyesight will, eventually, be lost, at least in one eye and that I am healthy and not facing my imminent demise, though that, too, is inevitable, I have a new determination, to return to my roots and quit wasting time spreading myself too thin, over too many projects, dead ends and poor prospects. I have begun my return to photojournalism, in earnest and have rethought my horse raising programme and streamlined and abbreviated it to allow me to actually make it happen, in my lifetime. I am about to cease working for wages, in order to supplement my meager pension and to be able to devote myself, totally, to my career rebuilding and my farm. As soon as I can and no later than the summer, nothing I do to pay bills and live, will have anything to do with anything, beyond the farm and photography. To that end, I now own a professional grade optical scanner and am beginning to digitize my files. I have fully entered the digital capture arena, with the purchase of more Nikon gear and my website is on the horizon. I also upgraded all my computer equipment to the latest Mac stuff and the software to go with it, including a subscription to Adobe's new cloud based material. The learning curve is incredibly steep, another reason why I need to concentrate my efforts from home, without extraneous distractions. Above all, I have come to the realization that life is too short to drink cheap beer, bad wine or to suffer fools and their frustrations any longer.

In all, I have no idea if I will be successful or not, or if this is the best path to take, but it is the right path, for my sanity and peace of mind and above all, my soul. To wit, Darla, the cats, the horses and I, are embarking on a new path,with new trials and tribulations to overcome and new adventures to challenge us. It will be a glorious journey and as it will be my last, a grand undertaking like none other!

No comments: